This 17 day holiday takes you to two of Peru’s amazing biozones, the Amazon and high Andes. Take a boat trip on the highest navigable lake in the world (Lake Titicaca) and visit the majestic floating islands, travel down the winding Amazonian rivers, see Condors soaring over the deepest canyon in the world and to top it off visit Machu Picchu, the lost city of the Incas.
with an impressive colonial center built from the white volcanic rock that is found in the area there are a variety of things to do whilst in the city such as visit the Santa Catalina Monastery or the museum where the Ice Mummy ‘Juanita’ is kept. The main attraction of the city is the nearby Colca Canyon where it is possible to see condors soaring on the thermals.
people visit Puno for Lake Titicaca, the world’s highest navigable lake and home to the Uros people. The Uros people have lived on floating islands that they construct from reeds for generations, possibly as far back as Inca times and it is this unique culture that attracts people to the area. A boat ride on Lake Titicaca is an unforgettable experience, visiting the floating islands as well as the islands of Amantani and Taquile you see a side of Peru that is all but lost.
the old Inca capital is the main destination of everyone’s trip. Sat at 3300m / 10,827ft. above sea level, Cusco has a unique charm and provides an interesting mix of Andean and Spanish cultures. Filled with ancient Inca sites and colonial buildings sat alongside modern restaurants and upmarket cafes, Cusco has a little something for everyone.
the lost city of the Incas is a short train journey from Cusco. Surrounded by breathtaking mountain scenery and with some of the most impressive Inca buildings ever constructed, Machu Picchu iss the highlight of Peru.
THE AMAZON RAINFOREST
the jungle around Puerto Maldanado has been identified as one of the most biodiverse places on the planet. Staying in a lodge deep in the jungle you get to explore this fantastic environment by foot on jungle trails and by boat on the myriad of rivers and ox-bow lakes. Staying in a lodge is the perfect way to see the jungle allowing you to enjoy the wildlife in comfort.
ITINERARY IN BRIEF:
- Day 1:Fly to Lima.
- Day 2:Fly to Arequipa – Optional City Tour.
- Day 3:Travel across the altiplano to the Colca Canyon.
- Day 4:View the condors from Cruz del Condor before returning to Arequipa.
- Day 5:Free day in Arequipa – Optional tour to the countryside around Arequipa.
- Day 6:Travel to Puno by tourist bus.
- Day 7:Visit the floating islands and Amantani Island on Lake Titicaca. Homestay with a local family.
- Day 8:Visit Taquile Island and return to Puno in the afternoon.
- Day 9:Travel to Cusco by tourist bus with visits to sites of interest throughout the day.
- Day 10:Free morning in Cusco to explore the city by yourself. City tour in the afternoon.
- Day 11:Free morning in Cusco. Afternoon train to Aguas Calientes.
- Day 12:Guided tour of Machu Picchu before returning to Cusco.
- Day 13:Free day in Cusco. Optional Sacred Valley tour.
- Day 14:Flight to Puerto Maldanado (Amazon) and travel by river to your lodge.
- Day 15:Jungle tours.
- Day 16:Jungle tours.
- Day 17:Return to Puerto Maldando by river and fly to Lima.