This hike is a great option for people who want to see traditional Andean communities inhabited by people who consider themselves descendants of the Incas and maintain traditional customs. The route begins in Lares. On the way we find typical Andean communities dedicated to agriculture, animal husbandry and weaving, where people still use its stunning traditional dress of the area and we appreciate your generous hospitality. The walk ends in Ollantaytambo and then take the train to go towards the town of Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu. We spend the last day to visit the lost city of the Incas.
CHARACTERISTICS OF LARES TREK TO MACHU PICCHU
Circuit Type: Scenic / Historic / Cultural
Activities: Hiking, adventure tourism trek to Machu Picchu dollars
Level: Requires enough physical effort
Duration: 4 days / 3 nights.
Maximum height: 4580 m. Open Amparaes and Ipsay to 4400msnm (walk)
Season Recommended: May to November (The rest of the year with rains in between)
Climate: Temperate / dank.
DAY 1. CUSCO – LARES – HUACA WASI PROGRAM
Pick up from hostel in tourist transport to go to the Sacred Valley, to the province of Calca to 2940 meters, where we will take the detour to continue the journey through the communities of Rayampata, Machacancha to ascend to open Amparaes 4580 m then descend to reach the town of Lares Valley to 3250msnm, where we will visit the hot springs of Lares. After lunch we started walking towards average three hours to the community of Huaca Wasi (3600) where you spend the night.
DAY 2 – HUACA WASI – ABRA Ipsay – PATACANCHA.
After breakfast our average 7 hour hike, where we will climb to the highest point of our trek through the open Ipsay to 4400msnm, on the way we will have beautiful views of Andean landscapes, observation of flora and fauna and appreciate communities highland and colorful garments Lares man then descend to the community of Patacancha to 3800 m where we have lunch and spend the night in our camps. In the evening we will have dinner fellowship.
DAY 3 – PATACANCHA – WILLOQ – OLLANTAYTAMBO – HOT WATERS OF MACHU PICCHU PUEBLO.
After a nice breakfast start the descent to the community Patacancha to Willoq (3,600m) and Pumamarca (3400msnm) the inhabitants of this place are skilled textile artisans of clothing, ornaments beautiful colors, using materials obtained from camelids, some sheep and for dyeing garments place using native plants. Patacancha lunch in a delicious meal made from local products. Here we wait for our transfer to go towards the district of Ollantaytambo (2850msnm), an important Inca archaeological site considered as the living Inca city, which will visit. At night tourist board the train to take us to the town of Aguas Calientes village (2050msnm) where the transfer waiting for us with our names to accommodate us in a private hostel.
DAY 4 – HOT WATER -MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO.
After a continental breakfast, early riser board the bus to take us to the gate of the citadel of Machu Picchu Guided tour at the archaeological site is approximately two and a half hours. After the tour, you will be free to take more pictures and visit the places you have most liked on their own time. Once we finished our visit we will take the bus down towards the town of Aguas Calientes to wait for the train 18:10 hours in the direction of the train station of Ollantaytambo; where they expected the transfer to their names to address the bus that will transport them to the city of Cusco.
- Tourist transport Cusco -District of dollars
- Camping equipment high mountain.
- Sleeping mats, dining tent with table and chairs.
- Meals during the excursion (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner / Option vegetarian).
- Professional guide (English or Spanish)
- Cook and cooking equipment
- Horseman and mules, for all our camping equipment and personal equipment customer
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu.
- Entrance to the thermal baths of Lares Valley.
- Bus up and down. Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- Tourist train to Aguas Calientes Ollantaytambo
- Tourist Train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- Cusco Tourist transport Ollantaytambo-
- First aid kit, oxygen and strings.
- Hostel in the town of Aguas Calientes
- Breakfast on the 1st day excursion
- Lunch in the village of Aguas Calientes, 4th day
- Sleeping bag.
- A backpack with clothes for the trip.
- Wear shirts, shorts and outerwear.
- Rain jacket or poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco)
- Boots or sturdy shoes.
- Camera, films and extra batteries
- Hat or cap to protect against sun, rain or cold
- Mosquito repellent.
- Snack: biscuits, chocolates, etc.
- Water bottle and purification tablets.
- Optional: (sticks during the walk on foot) should be covered with rubber.